UV LED light is a form of invisible light energy travelling at a greater frequency than visible light. UV LED lamps have been used for decades. As LED technology is constantly evolving, they have become more advanced in terms of their stability, life hours and density. Correspondingly, they have replaced plenty of traditional alternatives, such as mercury arc lamps, hot and cold cathode lamps, and grid lamps, and are applied in countless fields.
Uses of UV LED Lamps
- Industrial and Cosmetic Curing – UV LED lamps are utilised in both industrial and cosmetic applications as an ozone gas and mercury free option for chemical curing, where UV light can support cross-polymerisation of photosensitive materials and instantly cure inks, costing and adhesives. One common instance is the nail polish cures. UV LED lamps enable quick drying of the gel polish during the process of manicure and pedicure, which enhances its convenience.
- Analytic Tools – The ability of UV light to make tiny source and certain materials visible to human eyes allows UV LED lamps to validate currency by checking the UV watermarks and identify body fluids in forensic investigation. Illustrating with the instance of the Super the Viper SL8300-UV Adjustable Light Beam UV LED Flashlight from Sunlonge, it is equipped with an instant maximum UV-A performance and high spotlight radiation. It can achieve high fluorescence stimulation, which can make low luminance traces visible even in daylight. Additionally, the flexibility provided by the focus ring allows it to generate the optimal intensity for diverse tasks. Therefore, the uplifted design of UV LED lamps facilitates quick inspections even in poorly accessible areas.
- Gemmological Field – In view of the properties of gems and stones, in which different kinds carry different coloration mechanisms of UV-visible absorption spectra, UV LED lamps can distinguish natural gems from synthetic stones.
- Scientific and Biological Fields – According to a study published in Applied Entomology and Zoology, UV LED lamps were adopted to deal with the sweet potato weevil in the West India. Since the insects causing the incidents are active at night, using the UV LED lamps allows the farmers to quickly detect them and take action accordingly. On the other hand, NASA defined UV light as the best source of light for growing plants on Earth and in space. Various wavelengths can support the growth of plants by regulating the periods of flowering and dormancy at a lower energy cost, which benefits the development of agriculture.
- Sterilization and Disinfection – The effect of UV LED lamps during the pandemic has been highlighted to a greater extent. UV light is a well-known tool for air and water purification. It can deactivate the bacteria. Based on a study in Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, UV LED lamps were proved to be more effective and safer than water sterilization solutions.
- Health Properties – One of the most notable uses of UV LED lamps is their medical effects. The father of modern phototherapy, Niels Finsen, invented the artificial UV light source to treat smallpox lesions. With continuous development, UV phototherapy is now used for treating several skin conditions, for instance, vitiligo and psoriasis, which is an inflammatory skin condition caused by the malfunction of the immune system. Another remarkable effect is inhibiting the growth of skin cancer. Researchers from the American Cancer Society discovered that UV light can contribute to long-term remission in the early stages of diseases. Thereby, UV LED lamps are one of the most impressive gifts for numerous patients.
In the past decades, the market for UV LED lamps has expanded five-fold. It is even predicted to grow to over one billion dollars by 2025. The most critical factor for the rise is the multiplying number of their uses, from simple inspection to agriculture to medical field. People have persistently re-designed the lamps and incorporated suitable features to fully take advantage of the UV light. In addition, thanks to the dropping price of UV LEDs, the ability to leverage the lamps in terms of the wavelengths and dosages will significantly increase. UV LED lamps will then continue to serve in boundless fields and create the maximum outcome for their development.